My family and I look forward to welcoming you into our home on Munroe Island, the Gateway to the backwaters of Kerala.
Our traditional homestay is set back off the main road in a quiet, lush tropical village setting. This is the perfect getaway for people looking to experience the ‘real’ Kerala
and escape the hustle and bustle of daily life.
During the day explore the backwaters on our canoe and kayak tours which can include early morning trips, sunset rides and swimming. End your day with a delicious dinner and a relaxing evening reading, playing games or sharing time with our family.
Lunch and dinner may be ordered and will be made up of traditional Keralan dishes cooked by one of the best cooks in Kerala, my mom. While we will work to accommodate food allergies we will be unable to take specific orders, since you will be enjoying the same food as our family (many vegetarian options available).
We have 6 rooms available that come furnished with large beds, fans, mosquito nets and private bathrooms (with shower and western style toilet). Breakfast is included in the price. Lunch and dinner are extra.
Sitting on the shaded front porch of your room you will be able to enjoy the sites and sounds of our Keralan village. Nearby is a Hindu Temple which sometimes plays high music in the morning. It is also possible to visit the Temple.
Free, reliable internet is also available.
While we do not have water views, from our property the backwaters can be reached in two minutes by foot.
While we will work hard to ensure you are comfortable throughout your stay and feel like a member of our family, please understand that we are a homestay and not a traditional hotel.
This is the perfect location for those looking to explore this beautiful region in a tranquil setting, off the busy tourist path.
- Experience traditional Indian life in the beautiful Backwaters of Munroe Island.
- Canoe and Kayak Tours: Travel around the small canals hidden within lush tropical palm trees in a canoe or a kayak with Vijeesh and his father who have extensive local knowledge and 16 years of guiding travellers. We will tell you about how the ecosystem works and how people use natural plants here for everyday living. The tour through the beautiful and serene backwater canals takes about 3 hours.
- Enjoy our brand new Stand-Up Paddle Boards to explore the backwaters
- Take a walking or bike tour in the village: see how locals earn a living by fishing, spinning coconut fibre into rope as well as weaving coconut leaves to create roofs.
- Go swimming in the water and sit and watch the sun go down with spectacular views.
- Enjoy a cup of chai by the lake.
I am Vijeesh, I run the homestay with my parents. I have lived here in this tranquil part of Kerala all my life, and the past 16 years have taken hundreds of people to see the splendour of the Backwaters of Munroe Island. Let me guide you round my beautiful island, from the lakes to the backwaters and the narrow canals, my canoe will take you into places that larger vessels can not manage.
Let me show you our plants, trees, fruits, birds and wildlife. You may even see reptiles or get to taste an exotic spice.
This will be a highlight of your holiday that you will remember forever.
This unique experience will provide you with a different view of Southern India and memories for you to treasure!
Room price: 1500 rs (breakfast included)
Please book by contacting Vijeesh on Whatsapp: +91 9048 176 186
Munroe Island is located 27km by road from Kollam Beach,approx 45 mins by taxi.
From Varkala beach it is 53km, approx 1hr15 mins by taxi.